Advantages of laser laparoscopy
It is performed without the classic 10-20 cm section (laparotomy), with four small holes (three holes of 0.5 cm diameter each at the level of the pubic region and one main 1 cm hole on the umbilicus). The procedure is performed using a laparoscope connected to a laser CO2 unit and special tools.
The use of CO2 laser beams confers accuracy in the section and vaporization (i.e. conversion of the excised tissue from solid to gas), qualities that are considered ideal for the treatment of infertility-related conditions.
A necessary requirement is the excellent technical knowledge of laser laparoscopy of the surgical team.
Which operations are performed laparoscopically?
The technique can be applied in the entire range of gynecological surgical operations:
- Treatment of endometriosis – vaporization of chocolate cysts
- Fallopian tube plastic surgery, fallopian tube opening
- Adhesion lysis
- Removal of ovarian or paraovarian cysts
- Ectopic pregnancy with retention or removal of the fallopian tube
- Removal of uterine fibroids
- Treatment of chronic pelvic pain using L.U.N.A.
Vaporization using SwiftLase has an advantage over diathermy. With the addition of SwiftLase, the depth of vaporization is smaller, known and very particular from histological studies, and does not leave carbon residues.