Terms of donation
According to Greek legislation, an oocyte/embryo donation program must operate under specific terms:
- Protection of recipient health: All donors must undergo a series of clinical and laboratory tests, especially for transmitted diseases like AIDS, hepatitis, VDRL etc. All couples undergoing IVF at Eugonia undergo these preliminary tests before commencing treatment.
- Anonymity of donation: It is mandatory to preserve the anonymity of donors and recipients of donated oocytes and embryos. Information about donors and recipients is kept in a classified file in a coded form at our Unit. This information will not be provided to either parties nor a third party, unless demanded by the Legal Authorities. Also none of the parties will be informed about the other's IVF outcome.
- Age: The age of the oocyte donor must not exceed 35 years. The age of the embryo donor must not exceed 40 years.
- It is forbidden to perform oocyte or embryo donation under any form of financial transaction.
- Consent of donors and recipients: In our Unit it is mandatory policy to ask for written and signed consent of both donors and recipients of genetic material. These documents are kept in a classified file.